Windows Software | Windows Tips | IT Information

Details and tips found at job and experiences (Windows Software | Windows Tips | IT Information).

Monday, October 15, 2007

Diskeeper vs Perfect Disk

Well, I used Diskeeper for years (since 2004) and today I decided to try PerfectDisk v8.0.64.

PerfectDisk's interface looks more friendly for novices, but PerfectDisk itself appears with some bugs for me.

First I tested it on a Virtual PC machine with fresh Windows XP-SP2, no problems at all. On my workstation, I uninstalled Diskeeper v10, reboot, then installed PerfectDisk v8.0.64. It doesn't need to reboot. On my first run, the drives list just appears empty, no drives at all. I spend few minutes at manufacturer's website, and found the problem: needs to register ole32.dll again.
This looks strange for me. Ok, solution applied:

Start Menu > Run > regsvr32 ole32.dll

Now PerfectDisk shows my drives. I was a little fearful of running this on my workstation, if anything wrong I'll have to reinstall. The Smart method seems very simple but effective, I mean, it put the files you don't modify often at beginning of drive, the frequently modified at end, and consolidates all free space. Still was buggy, I was unable to get a progress of the process, so I decided to hit the F5 key to refresh, and the status changed to "Idle" while running defragmentation, the progress bar never shows a single step, and the status at list permanently shows "Analyzing" while defragmenting, and no progress at all. I decided to leave it running. The diskmap shows me the progress and a status label indicates defragmentation work.

Certainly Diskeeper uses a different approach because is a multi-pass defragmenter (I'll have to test the Diskeeper v2007 which have an improved technology), but it seems more robust, and more professional for advanced users like me. Also, I use Diskeeper on several production Servers, critical, and never found an issue, never had a problem, never an error, bug, or bad defragmentation at all. Well, I trust Diskeeper most. I'll test new version 2007 later.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have tried most of the commercial utilites and have decided to stick to Diskeeper. Nothing to match it, their 2007 version is excellent.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been using Diskeeper 2007 Pro on my XP Pro/SP2 systems, and it runs smoothly without nasty surprises. Dual defrag modes (manual/automatic), MFT resizing, and fast defrags. To date, I have not experienced a single problem with DK 2007...no resource conflicts, no stability issues, no freezes etc. Looks like it is a well written program. Highly recommended!

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home